Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

GLYMM BAG: August 2012

imagine my surprise when i got my shipping notification from Glymm stating that their August bag was on its way. and then when i even received the bag before Topbox sent our their notification... that is mind-blowing!!

i got my bag yesterday which seems to be still later than everyone else. 
August's bag is black, shiny and quilted. very pretty! i am glad they switched it up. i am tired of the bags, but if Glymm has to absolutely keep them, then i rather they change the design every month and keep it exciting. 
the products inside can do with some improvement though. 

everything is very small. it seems that small samples are Glymm's specialty.
for August, we got:

1) Vitamine & Sea Mineral Clay Mask
This natural facial mask made with clay directly from the Dead Sea will tingle as it softly exfoliates, eliminates toxins, promotes circulation, cleanses and strengthens your skin.

the mask is to be left on your face for 20 minutes or until it dries. for me it was the latter - i think it dried within a few minutes! i think it's because i wanted to get at least 2 uses out of this so i used it sparingly which meant that the layer i applied was quite thin. it smells like dirt and rocks (if rocks had a scent, this is it). it left my face feeling fresh and smooth.
i do not use masks enough to justify paying $62 for it. plus, i still have plenty of samples to go through.
size: small (Glymm says 3 uses)
retail value: $62 (210 mL)

2) Naked Princess Naked Shine Luscious Lip Gloss in "Barely Nude" 
This sexy gloss stimulates collagen, is non-tacky and plumps your lips ever so gently.

this reminds me of the Anastasia gloss sample in March`s - you guessed it - Glymm, because they are both the tiniest lip gloss samples i have ever seen. i have never heard of the brand Naked Princess before but i like their look and their use of healthy formulas in their products.
the Naked Shine glosses come in 8 shades of nude. "Barely Nude" is completely nude on me. it just makes my lips look shiny. i doubt there is any way to build on the color, and even if there was, i would not be able to attempt it since there is not enough product. i like that the gloss is free of a number of chemicals and that it is non-sticky. the gloss has a sweet scent to it that reminds me of another lip gloss that i can't exactly pinpoint right now.
size: 0.25 g
retail value: $26 (2.96 mL)

3) Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensée
An electrical current runs through the subtle sweetness of vanilla, jasmine and fresh lime to bond with rich oak moss, woods and spicy coriander.

of the many fragrance samples i have received, i enjoy the packaging of Atelier Cologne. even though it's in the form of a vial, which is harder to use, i like the neat postcard it comes with. i also like the scent of it. it's not something i would normally wear but the vanilla is sweet and not overpowering.
size: smaller (~20 uses)
retail value: $70 (30 mL)

4) The Laundress Delicate Wash (Lady)
Take care of your beautiful delicates and lingerie with a wash that's effective yet gentle.

not what you would be expecting from a beauty subscription service. i do not feel like i need some special detergent for my delicates so it's not entirely useful to me. does it make sense that i think it would've been neat if it was a bonus product instead?
size: 15 mL
retail value: $22 (500 mL)

5) BENTA BERRY G-1 Moisturizing Face Cream for Boys and Girls (Regulating Line) 
This cream is made from 100% natural active ingredients: burdock, jasmine, mandarin, blueberry, white dead-nettle and zinc pidolate.


pheww that is a long name!! the packaging is eye-catching but really hard to decipher. under the Glymm notes, it says: "Its subtle fragrance was designed by a famous perfumer for both boys and girls." i actually did not know that perfumer was a word. and who is this famous perfumer?
i'm blanking out again because the scent reminds me of something else... agh. anyways, it's lightweight and helps mattify the skin. it is a bit out of my price range though!
size: 3 mL
retail value: $22 (30 mL)

6) Mai Couture Foundation Powder Papier in "Nude Glow"
The Papier collection by Mai Couture exudes novelty and modernism. Whether you need coverage, color or highlights you’ll find a quick and effective solution here.

foundation powder papier. i am intrigued about the idea since i cannot see how one sheet could substitute for foundation but... 
funny how Glymm does not listen to customers' feedback because i clearly remember back in February, when there was backlash as people calculated how much 2 sheets of blush papier was worth ($0.70!!). here, we are sitting at $0.76. 
if you look closely at the papier, you can see little shimmers on it. other glows available: fair and golden.
size: 2 sheets 
retail value: $19 (50 sheets)

everything is just so tiny. a number of the samples can only be used once, or max twice. the bag is cute but i rather have better products. the value of the bag does not seem to exceed or even equal its cost - especially for those paying $12. i heard some got a full size nail polish though - what did you get in your Glymm? 

15 comments:

  1. Is it possible that the smell of the gloss reminds you of the Julep gloss? It kinda did for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm i don't own any Julep glosses so i can't say! thanks for trying though haha

      Delete
  2. very disappointing bag this month, however the bag itself is very nice! I prefer this textured bag over the canvas ones.

    Check out my LippyGirl Blusher giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I just did a review of my glymm bag, feel free to take a look! I love your blog, I can tell you put a lot of thought into them. It'll mean to world to me to get your support for my blog! :)

    Love, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for your wonderful comment!
      i am definitely going to check your blog out :)

      Delete
  4. I think my favourite part of this month's bag is the bag! My subscription with Glymm ends in October...I don't know if I should renew...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am really debating whether or not i should continue my subscription in the future. i heard some people got a fancy nail polish! i wonder if it's all random...

      Delete
  5. I got the same samples, but the lipgloss in Barely Cocoa. This was my first Glymm bag and it was really light, I found. I'll hope for a better September :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm debating whether or not to renew as well. I got the identical bag minus the detergent and agree the best part this month was the bag itself.

    The foundation papers weren't even enough for one side of my face used on top of liguid foundation as a powder, and it didn't do much as far as coverage. I already got a sample of the cologne in a previous box and didn't care for it (and put that on the review that Glymm sends out), so this one will be given away. The lipgloss, face cream and mask seemed nice, but the sample was extremely small, too small I think to see any of the long-term benefits and, from the couple uses I got from them, they don't seem special/good enough to justify buying the regular size at full price.

    I get the Glossybox and, for only $5 more/month, it is by far the better deal. I've gotten at least 2 full size items in both my boxes so far and there's always at least 1 item (if not more) from each box that equals/exceeds the cost of the box. Once I get off the wait list for Topbox and if next month's Glymm bag isn't an improvement, I'm cutting Glymm from my budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's unfortunate that the foundation papiers weren't all that great. i didn't see how it could replace foundation at all. i know exactly what you mean about the sizes - they are way too small to fully test any benefits you can get from them. i found the mask really nice after using it but it is not something i'd pay $62 for.
      do you know how long you are on the waitlist for Topbox for? i haven't gotten my August one yet but it is my favorite box to receive. i hope it arrives for you soon!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. you did get a good one! i am thinking of cancelling too - i'm sure many of us are, actually

      Delete

thank you for reading! i appreciate your feedback and i read them all!
have a fantastic day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...