Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

REVIEW: Essence Breaking Dawn Makeup Collection

oookay, so i have to say that i have not seen a single Twilight movie because i have been stubbornly trying to convince myself that i could get through the books first. i heard the movies 'weren't that good' so i was hoping to read it first and let my imagination run a little wild, rather than having Kristen Stewart's and Robert Pattinson's faces stuck in my head.
so far, i've gotten through the first book. that was about two years ago.

Essence recently released The Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part 2 Makeup Collection which can be found in many Shoppers Drug Marts (Essence also had an Eclipse Collection back in 2010!)
do you want to look like a vampire?? 

the collection consists of lipglosses, glitter eyeliners, nail polishes, and loose pigments eyeshadows as well as a shimmer powder, a blush and a lipstick. prices range from $1.99 to $3.99. some of the products have the same shades - such as "Edward's Love" which you can find in a pigment or a nail polish. i keep laughing at how strange the name "Alice Had a Vision - Again" is. does she constantly have visions or something? and is it just annoying when she does?

i picked up three items:

eep! this is the first time i've noticed "talc" in the ingredients. i knew this is a "bad" product but i didn't know why so i do a little search.
from American Cancer Society: there are two types of talc - one that contains asbestos and one that doesn't. the one that does contain asbestos is said to cause cancer if inhaled. in regards to asbestos-free talc, there hasn't been any clear evidence linking it to cancer. so since there is insufficient information on this, it might be best to just avoid talc whenever possible.
this is very difficult since i went through some of my other powders and just to name a few, Vasanti, Pandora's Box and Korres have talc.

- - - - -

right before the release of this collection, i was on the hunt to add some highlighters to my makeup collection. my curiosity about them began when i watched some YouTube videos on highlighting and contouring (thanks Goss Makeup Artist!).

and so i was excited to pick up the Shimmer Powder in "01 Bella's Secret" (11 g; $3.99). i figured it would be my first baby step in the world of highlighting.
natural light; closeup with flash

this powder definitely gives your skin a glowing sheen with its light golden shimmer. i really like using it right underneath my eyes to brighten up the area. i also brush it down the center of my nose.
this product will definitely last me some time - it's really big!! it's not something i'd carry around with me due to the size and unfortunately, that doesn't help since i feel like most of the shimmer has faded within 3 hours. i didn't wear a face primer though... maybe that'll help!

- - - - -

after seeing a few swatches of the blush (as well as Christine's post about NARS "Exhibit A" blush), i felt like i NEEDED a red blush. i didn't own a red blush prior to this because well, it's so red! but the pictures i saw were just amazing and so i hunted down the Blush in "01 Renesmee Red" (5.5 g; $2.99).

the blush looks like a cherry red and when you look at it very closely, you will notice a few shimmer particles in there. it is not as dark when you apply it - more like a softer pink-red. powder blushes often fade rather quickly on my skin but one is pretty decent. i don't have an exact time frame for this but around 6 hours?

- - - - -

finally, after much talk about the pigments on a Facebook group page, i had to have a Loose Eyeshadow Pigment (1.7 g; $3.49). i wanted "01 Jacob's Protection" when i saw the nail polishes, but since i have a ridiculously long list of polishes i still need to swatch, i figured i'll just get the pigment in the same color. plus, i've been having a thing for loose eyeshadows after i started playing around with the MUFE Holodiam Powder.

the pigment is indeed, very pigmented. it is a dark navy blue (verging on black) with green and purple glitter. the powder is not fine so it is a little harder to blend. i find that the color does start to fade near the end of the day and it begins to look like a boring gray (it also loses the glitter). the Essence website suggests using a base - more specifically, the Essence Colour Arts Eye Base from their standard collection. i've never seen that sold here but definitely use a primer!

here are my swatches of the above three products - note the shimmer powder and the blush are heavily swatched so you can see it. when you apply it on your face, you can definitely use a lighter touch. the pigment itself has great color payoff.

i tried to take a picture of my eyes but you can sort of see my cheeks too... i am wearing all three products here (plus eyeliner and a white eyeshadow):

the packaging is nothing special but it does feel sturdy. i don't expect the blush and shimmer powder to shatter easily. the pigment can be messy though - every time i open it, no matter how careful i am, some of the pigment will end up on my table or hand. i can't say this for the pigment, but the shimmer powder and blush have a slight scent to it if you sniff it directly... smells sort of like fake peaches.

overall, i've had a lot of fun playing with these new products. i think for the quality and the price, they are definitely worth a try. these days, i've reached for the shimmer powder and blush most often. were you tempted by the new Essence collection?

40 comments:

  1. I wish I got the powder, oh well. At least I have the blush? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm is the collection no longer available where you are?

      Delete
  2. I picked up two polishes from the collection, at that price how could you not!!

    PS I nominated you for a liebster award ;) http://gl0ssi.blogspot.ca/2012/12/liebster-award-round-2-etc.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. round 2! thanks nat :)

      and yes i was so tempted by those polishes!!

      Delete
  3. Totally tempted to get something, the bluush looks gorgeous! To bad they dont carry essence at BOTH the shoppers near me. ;( But thanks for the review. I'll keep a lookout when I go to the states :) xx
    lilstephh.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww! do you live close to the border? and yes i absolutely love the blush! such a nice red :)

      Delete
  4. Great post and have a nice day.

    http://www.fashiondenis.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the saga =)
    Hey darling nice blog you have here, I like your posts! Hope you will have time to visit mine and let me know your opinion about it, maybe we could follow each other if you like my posts =)
    XOXO
    Ylenia

    ReplyDelete
  6. That highlighter looks so pretty. Shame about the texture of that pigment though. Thanks for the link to my post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been using that highlighter quite often as well! I'm the same as you - will not look at any of the movies until I read some of the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha how far are you in the books! maybe you can motivate me... haha :)

      Delete
  8. Hey Helen I nominated you for a liebster award! :) Chelsey

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the highlighter and I like it but I haven't really been reaching for it often D:
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohh is there another product you prefer?

      Delete
    2. I just have a lot of highlighters to be honest. Hey hun if you want me to email you a list of aussie products i'd recommend and where to buy them I can, just send me an email at mishellesleepytime@gmail.com, I'd be happy to help you out!
      x

      Delete
    3. hehe i just saw this comment! sorry i was so slow today! and thanks a ton mishelle

      Delete
  10. I love playing around with makeup. Lovely post !

    Would you like to stay connected through Bloglovin and GFC?

    Xo Amy
    http://stylechocolatechip.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, I love twilight! Would love to try this out x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a confession to make..I have never seen any of the Twilight Movies! I am just not interested in them! I hear Essence make-up is good and inexpensive , but I have not used any!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that makes the two of us!
      and yes i find Essence makeup quite good and definitely inexpensive! you should definitely give them a shot if they are available in your country!

      Delete
  13. i am most intrigued by the red blush. i looks so pretty!
    i should see if ulta has this collection in stock. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! I never know where to find essence products. -__-
    <3, Mel
    beautytribune.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it depends where you are! in Canada, only Shoppers carries it but i know you can find it easier in USA and UK :)

      Delete
  15. cool :)

    theistyleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got this for my cousin for xmas - it looks sooo pretty :)

    LaceyLoves x

    ReplyDelete
  17. that's alright adele - thank you for dropping by to let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post dear! I'll definitely have to check the collection out! :))

    XO,
    http://rosychicc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. That red blush is GORGEOUS...I kind of need it in my life. Not that I need more blush, but...so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha i understand - but i agree you do need a gorgeous red blush :)

      Delete

thank you for reading! i appreciate your feedback and i read them all!
have a fantastic day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...